I have been craving for authentic shawarma but Id feel too shy to binge on them at the usual shawarma carts. At first i thought that it would be difficult to make at home without those special shawarma roaster contraptions, but at a recent Mobile Kusina (not related to Windows Mobile) episode, I discovered that shawarma meat can be made by grilling sukiyaki cut strips of beef or chicken. Sadly, I got non-halal pork, because my nearest supermarket didnt have beef. Here is the recipie if youre interesed to try it out yourself.
- ½ kilo Monterey Beef Sukiyaki Cut
- For Marinade:
- ¼ cup garlic
- ½ cup onions
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 T Wansuy
- 2 T Purefoods Supremo Vinegar
- ½ cup Magnolia Nutri Oil
For Garlic Sauce:
- 1 ½ cups Real Mayonaise
- ½ cup Magnolia Full Cream Milk
- 1 cup Wilkins Distilled Water
- 2 T garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups Magnolia Nutri Oil
- salt to taste
- Mix all Marinade ingredients in a blender and mix well. Place meat in a bowl big enough to accommodate both the marinade and the beef. Pour marinade over meat, cover and marinate for at least 30 min in the chiller.
- Place meat in skewers. Make sure to pack the skewer tight. Grill for at least 4 min on each side, or until done. Allow meat to rest, and remove from skewer. Cut in to smaller pieces. Serve with warm pita bread, garlic sauce, sliced onions and sliced tomatoes.
- To make Garlic Sauce: Place all ingredients together except oil and salt in a blender and puree until well combined. Gradually add oil until sauce consistency is attained. Oil may or may not be totally consumed. Add salt to taste.